A model release is a written agreement between the model and the photographer where the model has granted the photographer permission to use the photographs commercially. Model Release generally permits the use of the image(s) for all purposes, with exceptions for controversial, sensitive or defamatory uses.
When you enlarge a thumbnail image by clicking on it, the Model Release Status information is displayed below each stock image
When is a signed model release needed?
Images, which depict people, may require a signed model release. It is up to you to decide whether the license usage will require a release. You should be aware that when a model release is available additional considerations may mean that the model release in itself is not sufficient, e.g. if the image is to be used for sensitive issues.
What situations would make a signed model release void?
Some image uses would make a signed release void. Following is for guidance only and is not a full list :
- Defamation of Character - embellishment, distortion or fictionalization of a person's character.
- Sensationalized use - a use intended to distort the "truth" of an image.
- Sensitive Issues
- Guns and weapons
- Medical and mental health issues
- Negative financial portrayal
- Political fanaticism
- Religious fanaticism
- Sexual and sexual health issues
- TobaccoAlways Remember!
No matter whom you are buying stock images from, us or anyone else, there is absolutely no way we can overemphasize the significance of these model release issues - if those images have recognizable people in them.
MAKE SURE that the photo agency you are dealing with has signed and "perfected" model releases and that they are available. Do NOT make the mistake of saying to yourself that, well, if there's a problem, it's the photo agency's problem, not mine. It is your problem and it can very rapidly become a huge one if you're not careful.
See our Help - Licensing page for more on how our images are licensed.
If you are unsure whether a Model Release will be necessary please contact us .
* Images Bazaar does not offer legal advice and it is the responsibility of the licensee of an image to determine whether a release is necessary. You are advised to seek legal advice before relying on any information contained in this website.